Blog December 21, 2012
Recipe: Vegan and gluten-free cornbread from LPK’s Culinary Groove
Missing your sweet summer corn? Try this recipe for delicious and guilt-free cornbread from Lesia Kohut from LPK’s Culinary Groove! This vegan, gluten-free cornbread can be made with local organic ingredients, easily found at the Farmers’ Market and is perfect for the holiday season. Eat it alone or as a side dish. Plus, it freezes really well so you can make large batches to stock up or give away as a fun hostess gift instead of fruitcake.
Lesia Kohut's Vegan and Gluten-free Cornbread
Yield: 2 x 6” loaves or 12–14 muffins
Prep time: 20–30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 175g Organic Brown Rice Milk
- 15g Dried Chanterelle mushrooms from Forbes Wild Foods (reconstituted in rice milk above)
- 120g LPK’s Gluten-free Flour Mix #1
- 130g Stone Ground Cornmeal from Grassroot Organics
- 40g Stone Ground Corn Flour from Grassroot Organics
- 30mL Baking Powder
- 5mL Baking Soda
- 5mL Guar Gum
- 7.5mL Grey Atlantic Sea Salt
- 20mL Dried Thyme from Vicki's Veggies
- 15mL Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 90g Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 100g Organic Maple Syrup from Forbes Wild Foods
- 100g Organic Apple Sauce
- Remove mushrooms from rice milk, squeezing excess milk back into bowl. Slice and finely chop reconstituted mushrooms and set aside.
- In separate stainless steel bowl, combine gluten-free flour mix, cornmeal, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, guar gum, salt and thyme.
- Add apple cider vinegar, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and apple sauce to #1 (rice milk only), and whisk until homogenous (it will resemble an emulsified salad dressing; if not it is either too hot or too cold). Add chopped mushrooms and set aside.
- Add wet ingredients (#3) to dry (#2) and mix until thoroughly combined (mixing will help activate the guar gum). Mixture will be bubbly as the leaveners activate with the vinegar. With silicone spatula, scrape down sides and bottom of bowl to make sure batter is totally smooth. Pour/scoop into prepared pans and smooth batter evenly in pans.
- Bake at 350˚F (325˚F convection, low fan) for 25 minutes or longer depending on type of dessert.